#2: High Adventure Trip
Sunday. The second day, and really the beginning of the trip. We all got up early, and got dressed into nice clothes, and we went to church. And, I'm thinking, there's gotta be tons of girls, since this place is near Washingtion D.C.. Wow, was I wrong. There were like 4. Sort of disappointing.
But, we went out and changed in the parking lot, wearing nice matching red shirts, and made our way to Fort A.P. Hill.
This was where the National Jamboree was held, and we got to walk around and see a bunch of cool stuff, like this big NASA exhibit. Then everything started to close down, so we went to lunch, which was very mondo expensive. But it was decent. I just hope I never have to spend $2.50 for a bottle of Mountain Dew again. Anyways, a band started playing outside, so we went and checked what was going on, and the boy scouts were on the move. And wow, there were a lot of them. They filled the entire road for like a mile. Thousands, and we followed. We entered into a big field with a huge stage set up, and had to pass through security to get in. Hmmm...and when we looked closer at the security dudes, they were wearing Secret Service badges. Sweet. So the rumors were true, and Bush was coming.
A little later, a helicopter started flying overhead, a big one, with the Presidential seal on it. And a while later, there were Secret Service guys all over the place, and a couple on top of a truck and looked a heck of a lot like snipers. So, Bush finally came out, and yes, I did see him in person, and it was amazing. And he gave a speech, which I don't remember 'cause I just cared about actually seeing the President, one of the world's most known figures. But, as I looked across the crowd of 50,000 Boy Scouts, I realized that I was looking at one of the largest crowds of the next generations leaders, and I was glad to be a part of it.
So, later on, fireworks. They were good. I thought they could have been better, since they were supposed to be one of the top 10 firework shows in the nation. But, I did enjoy them. We also had a moment of silence for the leaders who died at the beginning of the Jamboree.
After it was all over, we made our way home-the two hours it took to get there. And when I say hoem, I mean our campground. Our caravan was one of the first back, and we went right to sleep. And that was day number 2 on the great high adventure. More will be written down a little later, so stay tuned.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home